THE LONG FAMILY'S ADVENTURES IN BANGALORE

Thanks for visiting and keeping up with our fun!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

If you can't beat them, Madam,....well you know the rest

Since we are living in country that is not our own, we have made certain changes to our vocabulary in order to blend, or at the very least to communicate. For example if I ask for a hamburger, I will get a ham sandwich. So I have to ask for a beef burger. If I ask where the elevator is, I will get a blank stare. Hence, I have to ask where the lift is.

See the fruit of my beef burger efforts below......






The one thing that I just can't get used to is our interaction with our housekeeper and driver (if all you stay at home moms in Dallas are feeling jealous right now.....trust me....just don't) It's one thing that they call us sir and madam. I've totally given up trying to be addressed by my first name. The funny thing is that we cannot speak to them about each other without referring to each other as sir and madam. For example if I ask our driver to go to the city and pick up Carl, he just sort of gets flustered. I have to say, "Go to the city to pick up sir."

In the interest of keeping it real. Yesterday, in the car, Carl asked him to "drop off madam at the hotel" and then continue on with him and the boys. Samuel sits up out of his swimming induced stupor and says, "Dad, who is MADAM?"

2 comments:

  1. Grace -- I am loving reading about your adventures in India. We lived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil when I was in high school, and I can so relate to the exciting, shocking, depressing, eye opening craziness that is living in a thrid world country. You guys are giving your boys an incredible gift -- experiences that will shape their little characters for years to come. I'll be praying for you guys! I have a friend in Delhi who has a 2 year old little boy if you're ever headed that way. Hang in there and have fun! Love, Lauren R.

    ReplyDelete